The Centro Naval was created on May 4, 1882, by a group of young officers of the Argentine Navy, graduates of the first promotions of the Naval Military School, which sought with this act to create ranks within the naval profession.
They wished, with their creation, to find a meeting place where to exercise a healthy camaraderie, to publicly present their concerns, and to give lectures about the technological advances of the profession. This way, the results of explorations, experiences and discoveries of all kinds their associates might make, would be made known.
They also wanted, through the dissemination of this knowledge, to propose modern and updated concepts in navy management.
After several years of negotiations, the location on Córdoba and Florida was obtained. This would be the new destination for the Centro Naval, the Navy Museum and the National Library of the Navy.
The direction and inspiration of the architect Mallet were a success. The building beautifully solved the problem of being on a rectangular corner, and the functionalism of the building, as well as its proportions and details, make it one of the most significant and beautiful parts of that Buenos Aires from 1914. Even nowadays, it calls for the admiration of many of the tourists who walk by Florida.
The majesty of the building, which was built with noble granite socle from Cordoba and rises seven floors high with its original external decoration by the sculptor Luis Trinchero, (inspired by the salons of War and Peace in the Palace of Versailles), imposes a unique seal that, while giving the Centro Naval its own physiognomy, also makes it a point of citizen pride.
The different headquarters of the Centro Naval have acquired, by donation most of the time, a series of pictures representing marines, battles and naval combats, or effigies of the Argentine seamen, many of whom presided over the Directive Commissions in their hour.
The number of pictures of pictorial value is very large. These are joined by others of historical-affective value, either for being made by the brushes of Officers of the Argentine Navy or for showing important scenes from our naval history.